Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Training: On the Hood of a Car

Simple run to go with the Lydiard training in finding out if the return trip is quicker than the outbound. Also, to verify mileage as recorded by a vehicle and the USATF website.

I chose a route that would be part of my travels for the day to save time. Turns out this is an absolutely crappy route, it takes you through a downtown district, pop. 15,000, along three state marked roads through suburban towns. So, there was plenty of traffic to contend with from cars, trucks and heavy eighteen wheelers. A septic tanker came awfully close to me on one of the curves, close enough for me to shout a few expletives in return.

At one point I became the hood ornament for a mid-size blue car driven by a Mother of three. You see the main objective in driving is to get from point “a” to point “b” in the safest most efficient manner. She decided to cut down on some of the safety by driving over the stop line and crosswalk while looking left at an intersection so she could make an immediate right hand turn. Completely oblivious to the runner coming down this small hill wondering if she truly will stop. Go figure she keeps rolling, I feel the car bumper smack my legs and instantly get the “Hollywood jump on the hood” reaction. My water bottle flies into her windshield and I grab a hold of the space underneath the hood expecting a ride as I was plastered across the car. Fortunately the car comes to a stop, I get off the car a bit shaken up. She opens the car with this wide eyed expression wondering if I am alright…I am thinking, what do you think lady, you just ran into me…An approaching driver pulls up and asks me if all was okay as she said she saw the whole thing. I look at the Mother and the three little ones and I say, “You gotta slow down, you have kids in the car”.

My driving is typically ten times more conservative, it’s conservative to start, when I have kids onboard. I see (feel) now others don’t exactly think the same. I was able to continue my run sustaining no admissible injuries.

Time outbound was 55:45, a 7:26 pace and return was 59:10 a 7:53 pace. Out included a car\runner accident, inbound included 80 seconds at McDonalds for a pit stop and refill my water bottle. My car measured this at 15M and USATF came up with 15.4M.

Here is my recovery compared against Pfitzinger’s plan. My first week back was zero mileage hence the steep incline.

Training: AM – Maynard OutnBack 15M, 7:38 pace, 142HR, 70 degrees, humid

4 comments:

  1. Glad you're alright. Good for you for giving a calm and measured sound bite to that idiot.

    What did you learn from the out and back? Was it a struggle coming back or did the car accident mess with the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, Nice blog and glad you came out alright. Sometimes I wonder if running against traffic is the best thing because of all those folks who look left when turning right.

    Then again at least you can see if you're about to get hit. I usually end up trying to stay as alert as possible and running behind the car pulling through the stop sign/crosswalk to make the turn...

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the car accident was on the faster outbound, Mcdonalds on the slower inbound...maybe the chocolate shake and fries slowed me down...actually I am runnning another out and back today on different roads..

    I think they make the cars today softer than years ago because there doesn't seem to be any bruising .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, Glad your ok after your run in with a Mother of 3. Drivers are getting worse and worse every year. They roll up there windows, turn on the air-conditioning, crank up the radio and live in there own little world.

    Good luck tomorrow. I hope your karma improves.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete