Friday, December 22, 2006

One Starry Morning. . .

Boston Marathon training begins early today by getting out the door at 5 a.m. I am usually fortunate that most of my runs are in the daylight. This mornings darkness brought out a few notables that are worthy of at least a few electrons.

To start, the w\u was short as my GPS locked onto its satellites amazingly quick. Clear skies, you better be ready to run. Soon after starting I missed the first turn, after a quick circle in the street it was on with the mistaken path up the hill. There goes the 2.5m on the flats.

I finished off the flats, with bump hill, while getting one glance at current time\pace under a street light in the neighborhood. It’s dark and cold. Changed from hat to headband and grabbed a water bottle to head off to the Haynes Loop. A mile into it I see a four-legger cross the road. Either someone let their dog out or its one of the suburban coyotes. I wasn’t taking any chances by making myself known and a good little kick in quickening the pace. A few over the shoulder glances left me cruising down the hill to the next turn. On the back side of this loop I needed to consciously tell myself to keep the pace up as it’s a progression run as the miles tick off. This happens on the long slow uphills that sneak up on your pace as it looks flat but it’s not.

Changed out water bottles, for a non-leaker, and off to Pratts Mill for the eight miler. This leg should be even faster. Let’s see, the goal was 7:12 and then 6:36 for progression loops based on a 6:00 marathon pace from Pfitzingers book. Without light I could only go by feel and as miles went by it just gets harder to tell the pace.

A beautiful sunrise brought in the last five miles. Having the sport-beans on these last two legs was the needed sugar kick to keep the gait. At the house grabbed the last bottle and pushed the effort for a true Bowker Flats in 16:10 for a 6:28 pace. Nice. Later downloaded the GPS and scratched my head as to why ForeRunner and SportTracks come up with different time and distance from the same device. Also, further analysis could be had with a better understanding of the two software programs and possible spreadsheet analysis. All can be done at another time as of now it’s Holiday Preps!

Training: am, 23, clear, Bowker\Haynes\Pratts 18.5m 2:07:46-6:54 pace, no complaints, last 2.5m@6:28, 148 HR

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:41 PM

    The countdown to Boston begins. Smoking start! Looking forward to reading more as Patriot's Day approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did all this on day 1? Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:20 PM

    Thanks for stopping by. Have you registered for Boston then, best of luck with the training?

    There is a slim chance I may go as two friends and I have a gig in the works to write an article for a running magazine on our (would be) experiences at the London Marathon.

    Mike in Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks fellas-day one of a new era!

    Mike, I am withholding registration for further training and opportunity developments. If you don't make Boston the best of luck in London. Would love to read the article and run there someday myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:21 PM

    I'm curious to know what your approach to training for boston is. An 18.5 miler on a Friday. Wow, can't wait to see what the other runs will be like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://runfastermaster.blogspot.com/2006/11/boston-marathon-2007-plan.html#links

    Link to the basic Boston Marathon shell. More details will unfold on a weekly basis.

    I am thinking my ad-hoc base has put me in good shape to tackle this and possibly more. Most likely err somewhat on the conservative side on a weekly basis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:08 AM

    Way to get off on the right foot. Nice run Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:38 PM

    What a great kickoff to your Boston training program. If I train my butt off, taper, peak, and am blessed by the gods on race day, I might be able to replicate what you have done on your first day of training!

    ReplyDelete