Thursday, January 11, 2007

2x 15 Minutes at Marathon Pace

Cold on the fingers in cotton gloves with the sun doing its best to peak through the clouds. Planted this workout on the spreadsheet and looking forward to the next. Effort done at Myers Field in heavier vest, long-sleeve, headband and Saucony trainers with a little company from men installing environmental barriers nearby with their trucks parked on the track. I took in some Gatorade Endurance on the five minute rest between sets.

After the first 600 I decided only to check the pace every 800 as it kept getting me worked up every lap. A new measurement is the recovery heart rate. As reading from Mike and Eric’s blog along with other sources this is making sense to pay attention to especially being self-coached. Now, if I had a coach I would bounce a few questions to them. Maybe you can help.

  1. The last two workouts were on the money, am I working hard enough?
  2. Should I add an evaluation run this Saturday before the fifteen miler? I am considering running my 2.5m course at a 5:30 pace and checking HR recovery.
  3. I skipped doing a double yesterday to keep with the program. If I feel good should I add a second run that’s not scheduled?
  4. Should I be running the below workout closer to 14:56 on the track to feel a true 6:00 pace?

2x 15 Minute at MP (6:00)


1/11/2007

400

88

88

800

92

89

1200

91


1600

88

180

2000

89

89

2400

89

90

2800

89

91

3200

88

90

3600

88

89

4000

89

90

Total

14:56

15:00


HR-listed in seconds after


1/11/2007

Finish

164

162

30

132

137

60

121

112

90

110

107

120

111

104

150

105

100

180

99

99

3 comments:

  1. 1. I think you're working plenty hard to start. I like the concept of starting gradually and recovering well at the start. Nailing the workouts is good, recovering quickly is better.

    2. I would save the evaluation run for next week, replacing your 10K-5K workout. You probably know me well enough to know I don't really think this kind of workout this early does much anyway. I'd like to see more higher-end steady state.

    3. I think for a family guy, grab a double when you feel good whenever the opportunity arises. Even the evening after a long run.

    4. How about MP+10 seconds for 6-7 miles instead. Steady state, baby. I don't like that rest in the middle of marathon pace work. If you back off the pace just a little (5-10 seconds per mile), I think you could run one interval steady, get most of the benefit of a true MP workout, but recover faster. This would also get you doing your MP stuff on the roads, just like that race you're training for.

    Just some ideas to stir up the pot a bit. It sounds like this week is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike, very insightful. The work doesn't feel hard, because this is an off week of this period. Looking ahead, week 4 has four key workouts, get my rest when I can.

    I may ditch the evaluation run idea. If I track the 10K-5K pace stuff (next week is 7x 1000)and recoveries that should start to paint the picture and give a good image of how the machine is working.

    Good point on the doubles, I used to run them just to keep the mileage up because there wasn't enough time with singles.

    MP stuff has me thinking. I made a note from Andrew's blog about a Jason Carp study, haven't seen it, that says 25% of weekly miles at MP. Initial thoughts are to total the scheduled MP intervals, and then calculate what's needed and fit them in on the MLR and Long Runs.

    If all the weeks go this well and I just stick to the schedule a 6 minute pace is mostly in the bank. Wait, who am I kidding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things that the guy who wrote my schedule (he's a HS x-country coach) has me do is one mile pickups during some of my long runs. You might want to try that if you're feeling the need for a bit more work.

    MP + 10 for 7 miles is basically what I ended up doing on Monday. It felt really good and was a confidence builder, but it threw off my long intervals today. Allow enough time for recovery.

    ReplyDelete