Saturday, March 24, 2007

7th 20-Miler, Past Lesson

Boston Marathon
follow that car to get to Boston in about four miles!

It’s raining now and should turn over to snow with an accumulation of 3-6" by tomorrow. The weather is always an important factor here around Boston for running. With a trip over to MIT this morning it was easy enough to drive over to Cleveland Circle and start the run at the 22 mile marker.

After the first few miles I wondered why I was carrying 52 ounces of fluid. I would stop five miles later to station one bottle and re-fill the other. On the return I would do another re-fill and carry the empty. This time of year there are plenty of other runners and support crews along the route that my fluid stash method is not necessary. Is best to save those for the frigid months when very few soles are out here running.

The first ten miles clicked off just fine, picking it up after five and running against the flow of traffic and streaming marathoners.

In Wellesley at mile 12 I made turn and pushed to get marathon pace. The question is what is MP? I’ve been forcing myself to run 6:00\mile; today with no HR monitor it was all by feel. I felt alright, by the time 15 miles had gone by the pace was starting to slip.

Last week’s race, this week’s demanding workouts and fifteen miles accumulated fatigue in my legs. When I started up after the fluid re-fill, the next five miles were progressively slower and the Newton Hills once again earned my respect.

Today’s lesson is an old one learned from Boston Marathon racing. With the course’s first sixteen miles primarily downhill the legs are hard pressed to run the hills of Newton. One must not sit easy calculating a Boston goal pace without taking these dynamics in consideration.

I respectfully draw back on going out on Marathon Monday at a 6:00\mile pace this year. What pace would be best considering the training?

1-7:16
2-6:56
3-7:09
4-7:21
5-6:59
6-6:46
7-6:54
8-6:20
9-6:20
10-6:26
11-6:09
12-6:12
13-6:18
14-6:11
15-6:28
16-7:25
17-7:20
18-8:05
19-8:15
20-7:31

A respectfully Boston Marathon race day simulation. It’s gonna be tough race!
AM, 46, Sunny, 20M, 6:51 average, six in 32:18(6:27)

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn’t throw in the towel on 6:00 yet. You’ve done all the training; this is what it’s all about, shooting for that goal that is seemingly just out of reach! That said, give yourself a range +/- 1%, how about 6:02 to 6:06 pace, it’ll still get you under 2:40?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, a 6:06 pulls a 2:39:42, now that would be sweet. After yesterday it's hard to fathom.

    ReplyDelete