Friday, March 16, 2007

Race Weekend New Bedford Half Marathon

One recommendation I received is to skip the 7-10 miler on Saturday to rest a little before Sunday’s race. Your thoughts? The race is a key confidence builder and the ultimate goal is the Boston Marathon. Maybe some walking and a yoga session.

Recently we re-affiliated with the BAA and are gearing up for the racing season. Notably it is the New England Grand Prix series. I asked the head coach to review my training log and he noted, “Very solid”.

The last time I ran New Bedford was five years ago with a time around 1:14. Sunday it’s a toss up of what pace to run? Earlier I was thinking go 6:00 flat for eight and then hammer. Now, self doubt is settling in and 6:15 may be a more conservative approach. hmmm what to do?

2006 Results: BAA Masters team (2nd) ranged (1:13:26\5:36 to 1:21:58\6:15 for a total of 6:32:32). Whirlaway won with 6:08:09. 40-49 Award placement was 1:11:09\5:26 to 1:11:30\5:28! 2006 NE Grand Prix minimum time for points, (top ten Masters) was 1:14:17\5:40 for 49th overall. John Tuttle, a Master, was the 100th runner in a time of 1:18:47\6:01.

A major Nor'Easter snowstorm hit us hard. It took over one filling of the Yardman with gas to clear the drives. Sunday should be 30 degrees with a "feels like" at 21 and 18 mph winds out of the WSW.

Training: am,62,treadmill,8M,7:37/mile

4 comments:

  1. You said it. This is a confidence building race so I'd skip your planned 7-10 miler & go an easy 3-4 instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but you also would build confidence with a good race after a regular run. Why not just and easy 5-6 to keep the legs from feeling too fresh and making you hold back a little on race day? Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has worked for me in some races and it is what I would be doing in this weekend's 10 miler if I was running it - don't look at splits or mile pace. Just run by effort - mentally balance between "can I go faster?" and "should I go faster?" By the end of the race you will have a good comparison of your mental tachometer to a clock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, regardless of whether you ran today or not, good luck to you tomorrow. Ease into it (I always hate the first few miles of a half) and hopefully finish strong.

    ReplyDelete