13 hours ago
Sunday, May 20, 2007
5K PR! Run for the Woods
My Masters PR is lower, not by much and is still soft. Today’s effort felt quite comfortable up against a couple of 5:00 minute runners and a slew of high schoolers.
A couple of my rookie mistakes:
1. Got lost warming up on the course, it’s a new race for us, ran about six miles with the last couple pretty hard to make it to the start line on time.
2. Anniversary celebration dinner the night before of prime rib and all, not our typical pre-race meal.
3. Forgot to change into race socks, a minor mistake.
4. Pushed the wrong button on my watch at the start and missing mile splits. Maybe a blessing as this was all run by perceived effort.
5. Cruised to the finish rather than a gut-wrenching Prefontaine push.
The weather was nice for racing in shorts and a singlet, a little off and on drizzle rain and temps in the mid-50s. The ninth year for the race and they did a fantastic job. I even got to help out with the awards ceremony.
Results: We both won our age group. A 22 second 5 K PR with a time of 17:28, a pace of 5:38 per mile! Woohoo, 1st master and ninth overall at the Stow Run for the Woods. Next race will be to break 17:00.
Didn’t know it until looking at results that we could have run in Concord, another bordering town, and both place first. That would be a nice anniversary present.
Posted by Mark Bell at 7:01 PM