Sunday, June 10, 2007

REPORT: Marathon- Conditioning Week Two

A lighter week with two notable events, first are the new training shoes and second a 5K race. The NB 767s felt fine for running from Tu-Fr but the right inner shin problem came back. I had to pull out of Saturday’s run because it felt wooden. It may have cleared itself after a warm-up but with a race the next day it wasn’t worth it.

Race morning brought nice sunny low 70 degree weather on a mostly flat course. On the w\u I stopped near the train bridge before South Bridge over the Concord River, to rub out the wooden right leg, B caught me. It felt like it would hold up, I was duly cautioned.

A 5:09 and then a 5:35 were the first two mile splits. About a half-mile a HS Track runner pulled up along side me to share the lead. I said to him “glad to see someone else up here”. I was looking to break 17:00 and would want company. Never looked at the watch.

I broke the course record (17:21) by ten seconds but came in second place. The kid ran a 16:53; good for him. My last 2K were a shuffle, I ran by feel for the whole race. Breathing was hard early on, but I told myself this is what 5Ks are all about, pain, and pain that is short lived. After the race I commented that I felt like I had lung burn, my lack of speed work? A new masters PR in 17:11 for a 5:32\mile pace. Eleven seconds short of goal.

Weekly Review
Total Miles: 60.70
Number of Workouts: 7
Stretching: fell off
Yoga: none
P\U, S\U: should try the abs of steel next week, again…
Notes: Right leg pain and 5K Race
Issues to Note: Return NB 767 shoes for Sauconys
Next Week Goal: Need to spend some time laying this out, will put on training log

Will be looking for another run this afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent time and place, Mark! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knocking on the door of a sub 17. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete