Wednesday, December 26, 2007

OAR Chapter 17. Breaking Down

"Cumulative physical morbidity that usually built up over several weeks and left the runner struggling to recover from one session to the next."
Once A Runner, OAR -John L. Parker, JR.


Four snow shoeing workouts, shoveling snow, removing snow from the roof, hauling heavy ladders in deep snow, falling with a ladder to the ground, midnight flood prevention and eight of the last ten weeks over 65 miles of running each.

Long run on Sunday was cut to 10.5 miles in 1:13:01 for 6:57/mile. It would have been longer but I promised my wife a two hour run the next morning.

On Monday, the two hour run came up short as I ran out of gas just prior to five miles, a walk\run shuffle settled the next seven miles.

Christmas day being perfect for running with very light traffic and nice weather to boot elicited another dismal effort. First mile at 9:17, walking break at the halfway of five miles to finish in 46:52 for 9:22\mile.

Today is the first rest day since October 24. It seemed so strange to take a shower in the morning without having run. So, contrary to OAR I will not “run through” as Denton suggests, at least for now.

Only 22 hours left to vote on the XC\Marathon training for a fast Boston Marathon. The results are quite interesting thus far.

4 comments:

  1. It's the midnight flood prevention that does it for me.

    Back when I dabbled with 100+ miles per week I couldn't tell the difference between needing a rest and when I should push through. So I pushed through each time. Worked until it didn't...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe falling off the ladder had more of an adverse effect than you thought. A day off will do wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the scrapes and bruises usually tell the story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael Jay2:06 PM

    Seeing a runner of your caliber putting in a few miles at 9 minute pace make me feel a little better when I have to slog along. Hope you are recovered by now.

    ReplyDelete