Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Screw Shoes

Without hearing the sound a wire snapped on my Yak-Trax throwing me into a face-plant. Not a pleasant feeling being an old guy, feet all twisted together and worrying about oncoming cars. That was last winter and last time for the Yak-Trax. I sent an email to customer service as it was too long of a telephone wait to speak with someone.

Matt Carpenter has a nice write-up on using screws in the soles of your shoes. Read his page for what it’s worth and apply your own method.

I am using #8 x 3/8” sheet metal screws. These have a hexagonal head that a ¼” nut driver fits. My nut driver is an Xcelite that keeps a positive fit with no slipping.
HPIM1745
Ten screws are in my shoes and I may add more. They are all on the outer edges and I don’t feel them under my feet. Matt is using 18. Maybe I can get 19.

It may be best to hand screw, the power driver tends to overdrive breaking down the sole. Would you use a power driver on your spike shoes? No, I didn’t think so. Other than pre-drilling a pilot hole one runner mentioned driving a nail in and then pulling it out as a pilot hole. Be sure to do this with the shoe off your foot!

Emil Zatopek - he would train in any weather, including snow, and would often do so while wearing heavy work boots as opposed to special running shoes. How did he handle the ice?

"Essentially, we distinguish ourselves from the rest. If you want to win something, run the 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon." EZ

Training: am, 15, 9.5 miles, 1:16:36 out-38:04, back-38:32, 8:03 pace, strides last 20 mins. Albeit slow from snowshoeing yesterday.

3 comments:

  1. You just saved me some time doing research. Glad to hear it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy and would love to hear your experiences

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used this screw method in the past with success on my oldest shoes. Works great on slush and ice but gets noisy on bare pave. I like the Yaks as they're easy to get on & off and quieter but now have bare wires hanging off ready to 'get' me.

    ReplyDelete