Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Vincent and Richard

New Years Day the virus took a full swing at my health and got the better of me until this afternoon. I saw 8-11 on the schedule on my way out the door and thought it would be tight for 11 but 8, okay. Well, 600 meters into the run I started to walk.

Turns out the slipping on the ice and snow flared up my right Achilles. That combined with the right shin splint and overall lack of energy led me to walk and soak up some of the healthful affects of fresh air and sunshine.

My research later on BCBS and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons brings me to the conclusion that a treatment of ice for twenty minutes a day should help. I am reluctant to stop the running, maybe bring down the intensity for a time and hope for the best. On the more severe side this could be compartment syndrome or stress fracture.

Vincent and Richard are missing neighborhood cats. There is a $1000 reward for Vincent; now that would buy a number of running shoes. No sign of them on my 3.5 mile WALK, hopefully the coyotes didn’t get them.

6 comments:

  1. How much for Richard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:39 PM

    Bummer about the Achilles. Having just gotten over pulling mine, I can relate. Rest up and hope the ice does it some good. Better this happens now rather than the week before the marathon, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:25 PM

    I wince every time I read a blog entry that mentions ice (under foot that is). Sorry to hear about the achilles. You're off to a good start though, so don't let this turn into one of those nagging injuries by pushing too hard too early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:43 PM

    Careful with the ice, as much as I didn’t enjoy the rain tonight I’m dreading next weeks forecasted snow. Careful with the achilles, time is better spent recovering now then in two months… you’ll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:55 PM

    The overall lack of energy is a sign that you should probably take some rest. Remember that easy workouts aren't so crucial. If you have access to it, try some cross training on elliptical trainers. I try to sit down a bit on them and keep my heels firmly down on the pedals.

    Whatever it is, try something to make you feel better about not running for a few days. Get your energy back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thx for the support, I usually dread posting non-running . . . injury\illness stuff; but the supportive comments and helpful suggestions received helps put the mind at ease.

    Richards poster on the telephone pole\trees does not state a reward, I think. Sign for a good samaritan to help (probably) a young child.

    ReplyDelete