Thursday, January 04, 2007

What Did You Expect?

If I wasn't reading "Running with the Buffalos" I may have passed on today's track workout. The issue are in order of affect on performance: cold virus, shin splint?, achilles tendon. I could be worse off and have lousy weather. I think someone visited Palm Springs and brought the beautiful weather with them.

A few walkers and one of the standout local woman kept me company at Myers Field this morning. The warmup over was initially tough but I knew after a mile it would get better. Running 8-9's is about all it gets. Scheduled 1M-2M-1M at slightly slower than 10-K pace.

1M = 5:38 Thought I might be able to pull this off. Dreaming.
2M = 12:02 (5:54,6:08) Realization sets in quick.
1M = 5:50 Tried to turn and burn, Hahaha

Overall a coughing, wheezing and struggling effort. A few times I caught myself all tense and was able to relax. This is rock bottom and it can only get better. Felt good on the way back, first quarter mile and then it was a drag and I stopped on the street leading up to the house to walk it in.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:19 PM

    That's a great book. A must read for any runner, IMO. Good workout considering you were sick. Hope it doesn't last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:46 PM

    I would take away a positive from this workout, considering how you described your condition a couple of days ago - that being that you can still run a mile at 5:38 (and follow it with a couple of sub-6's to boot). The goal of the overall workout seems like kind of a tall order given your current health issues.

    I've been consuming 2 cups of green tea a day. It is now a habit for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:14 AM

    Great workout considering how you've been feeling. Take it easy though, you've got a LOT of time. Recovery is important at this point, get healthy, fit then... fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The task seemed more daunting before I ran, but once home later it felt like, "is that all I did"?

    Upbeat is the mindset and a tablespoon of honey gets added to each one of these green teas. I just realized yesterday that green tea is caffeinated. All along I thought I was caffeine free to stay hydrated.

    ReplyDelete